Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Safety
The sustainable production of safe, nutritious food — and ensuring reliable access for consumers — is essential to advancing developing nations. Led by a collaboration between Purdue University and Cornell University, the Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Safety aims to enhance global agricultural sustainability and resilience, as well as food security. Our applied research leverages collective expertise in food safety, food production, nutrition and international development to reduce the global burden of foodborne disease.
In 2019, USAID awarded $10 million to Purdue University, in partnership with Cornell University, to lead the first-ever Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Food Safety (FSIL).
Our work aims to enhance agricultural sustainability and resilience, as well as food security, for developing nations — with research and capacity development that increases the production of, and access to, safe and nutritious food.
Our research and capacity development activities focus on four key objectives:
- Increase awareness of food safety issues, impacts and measures
- Build capacity to conduct localized research on food safety challenges
- Develop public-private partnerships, policies and networks for effective engagement
- Translate research into training, guidelines and commercialized products
In its first year, the Food Safety Innovation Lab leads foundational research grants — referred to as QuickStarts — with pre-identified partners in four initial countries: Bangladesh, Cambodia, Kenya, and Senegal.
These QuickStarts incorporate country-wide and site-specific assessments, including:
- Mapping key stakeholders at all levels
- Cataloging food safety programs, practitioners and policies
- Initiating discussions of food safety research priorities
Future projects and activities will follow, funded by competitive requests for applications, associate awards, buy-ins and other investments.
For more information, please visit our website: https://ag.purdue.edu/food-safety-innovation-lab/
Molly Webb, Managing Director of the Food Safety Innovation Lab email@example.com
Dr. Haley Oliver, Director of the Food Safety Innovation Lab firstname.lastname@example.org