#AskAg Twitter Chat Recap: Empowering Smallholder Farmers with Open Agricultural Data
At this month's #AskAg Twitter Chat, the Agrilinks team welcomed four experts from the open data world. Experts from USAID Bureau for Food Security, U.K. Department for International Development, FoodTrade, and the Feed the Future Innovation Labs for Collaborative Research Digest Project shared their insights and expertise with our Twitter audience.
Experts in the open data and development communities discussed ways the open data movement could change the face of agriculture and food security. Throughout the chat, the Twitter audience shared resources, platforms, innovations, and current projects that are using open data to further their agendas. Please read below to access all the great resources that were shared throughout the chat, and don't forget to read the synthesized Twitter Chat Storify below.
The #AskAg Chat explored the following questions:
- How is the open data movement changing agricultural development?
- What are some of the challenges to bringing data to farmers? How do you encourage use?
- What open data is needed? If smallholder farmers knew _____ then they could _____?
- What are your organizations key activities and targets?
- What resources/apps/portals exist for farmers and others to access #OpenAgData?
- What research/concepts/implementations are you most excited by? How do you plan to apply open ag data over the coming year?
Open Data Platforms:
- Harvest Choice API
- Linked Development
- Plantwise Knowledge Bank
- FAO Data
- International Aid Transparency Initiative
- Livestock Information Network Knowledge System
- Global Open Data for Agriculture and Nutrition
- CRSP Open Access Data and Websites
- Open Government Data Platform India
- World Bank Open Data
- CIARD Routemap to Information Nodes and Gateways (RING)
- Famine Early Warning Systems Network (FEWS NET)
- Feed the Future: Women's Empowerment Agricultural Index
- USAID Open Government
- Feed the Future Bangladesh Integrated Household Survey Dataset
- Feed the Future Ghana Baseline Survey Dataset
- PD/A CRSP Aquaculture Database
- Decision Support and Informatics (DSI) USAID-WebIT
Tools & Applications:
- Agritech Toolbox
- Digital Green COCO
- Harvest Choice TABLR
- DFID Development Tracker
- GSMA mAgri Deployment Tracker
- Hort Hospital
- CGIAR/CCFAS: Tools, Maps, Models and Data
- SERVIR Global: Maps and Data
- SANREM Innovation Lab Knowledgebase
- Rights to Resources Interactive Map
- GL-CRSP LEWS Tech
- Maize-based cropping systems for sustainable agriculture in semi-arid areas of Ethiopia
- Participatory Radio Campaigns and Food Security: How radio can help farmers make informed decisions
- A Review of the CIARD Movement
- Farmers’ information needs and search behaviors | International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI)
- USAID and Feed the Future release datasets for Bangladesh, Ghana, and WEAI
- Open Data Empowers Us to Answer Questions that Matter
- Palantir Technologies: Working with data to uncover meaningful trends
- The “radio star” thrives: New toolkit dissects how mobile technology can strengthen agricultural radio projects
- World Food Programme: Purchase for Progress
- A new resource for agriculture
- Debate on the benefits that farmers can gain from current markets and capital in Africa
- Meet the regional winners of the 2013 ICT4Ag Conference Hackathon
- Reducing the Vulnerability of Kenya’s Pastoralists to Drought with Livestock Insurance
- CGIAR Consortium: Now officially ‘Open Access’
- Feed the Future Innovation Labs
- ICT4Ag: Plug & Play
- How might open data in agriculture help achieve food security?
- Audio Postcard: What the beep? Interactive radio using mobile voting
- Donors are Improving Information, Policy and Action for Better Land Rights: A New Global Database and Common Ground for the Post-2015 Development Agenda
- GitHub - Finding Open Data
- Index-based livestock insurance
- Feed The Future: Resources from G8 International Conference on Open Data for Agriculture
- GSMA mWomen
- About the CRSPs
- Coherence in Information for Agricultural Research for Development
- International Sorghum and Millet Collaborative Research Support Program (INTSORMIL CRSP)