#AskAg Twitter Chat Recap: International Volunteers Advance Ag Development
At this month's #AskAg Twitter Chat the Agrilinks team welcomed six experts from various organizations that focus on volunteering for development. Experts from VEGA, TechoServe, ACDI/VOCA, and the Returned Peace Corps Volunteers of Washington shared their thoughts and expertise to our Twitter audience. This #AskAg Twitter Chat featured returned volunteers and organizations that connect individuals to international agricultural volunteer opportunities. The chat brought together potential, existing, and returned volunteers who have spent time overseas working in agricultural projects and various food security initiatives. Throughout the chat, the Twitter audience shared stories, discussed what makes for a good volunteer, and learned more about the non-monetary benefits of giving one's time to such causes. Please read below to access all of the great information that was shared throughout our hour-long conversation.
The experts and the #AskAg Community came together to discuss the following questions:
- What do volunteers gain from their service?
- What type of traits/skills make for an effective volunteer?
- What does an AgDev Volunteer experience look like, and how does this differ from paid work?
- What sorts of challenges do volunteers face, and what resources help them address these challenges?
Access the resources below and send us any questions that you might have if you're interested in volunterering with one of the organizations below.
Resources shared during the Twitter Chat
Organizations' How-to Volunteer Pages:
- ACDI/VOCA Farmer-to-Farmer Program*
- ACDI/VOCA Service Learning Corps
- PYXERA Global MBAS Without Borders*
- CNFA Farmer-to-Farmer Program*
- CNFA Volunteer Technical Assistance Opportunities
- CUSO International Volunteer Opportunities
- Florida International Volunteer Corps Volunteer Opportunities
- FSVC (Financial Services Volunteer Corps)*
- ICMA International Volunteer Opportunities
- Land O'Lakes Agribusiness Corps
- MEDA Farmer-to-Farmer Program
- NCBA CLUSA Farmer-to-Farmer Program
- OIC International Food Security & Agriculture Programs
- Partners of the Americas Farmer-to-Farmer Program
- Peace Corps Volunteer Opportunities
- TechnoServe Volunteer Program
- United Nations Online Volunteering Opportunities
- VEGA Volunteer Opportunities
- VEGA Farmer-to-Farmer Program*
- Winrock International's Farmer-to-Farmer Program
- WOOF (World Wide Opportunities on Organic Farms)
- USAID's Farmer-to-Farmer Program
*Organizations that participate in the Farmer-to-Farmer Program
Volunteer/Project Case Studies:
- MEDA's Farmer-to-Farmer Program | Video
- TechnoServe | A Stryde Forward For Youth: Creating Opportunities in Rural East Africa
- TechnoServe | Maasai Women Launch Successful Dairy Business
- Winrock International | Arkansas Volunteer Beekeeping Story
Academic Tools/Resources & Various Articles:
- 2013 USAID's Gender Global Learning and Evidence Exchange Resources
- Volunteer. Give Pro Bono. Help Others. It's the Right Thing to Do, and It Will Boost Your Happiness.
- Agrilinks Ag Sector Council Seminar | Olives, Tractors, and Healthy Birds: The Farmer-to-Farmer Program