2019 Water for Food Global Conference
“Water for a Hungry World: Innovation in Water and Food Security”
The Daugherty Water for Food Global Institute at the University of Nebraska (DWFI) will host the 2019 Water for Food Global Conference, April 29-30, at Nebraska Innovation Campus in Lincoln, Nebraska, USA. Please join us as we explore the cutting-edge work being done to address one of the most urgent global issues of our time – ensuring we have enough nutritious food and clean water to sustainably support nearly 10 billion people in the next 30 years.
The conference will convene leading international experts and organizations to discuss “Water for a Hungry World: Innovation in Water and Food Security,” focusing on the next generation of research, smart technology, policy development and best practices that are achieving breakthroughs in this vitally important mission. The conference headlines a week of water and food security-related presentations, side events, networking opportunities and tours.
To build more resilient and productive agricultural and food systems, we need to harness the entrepreneurial spirit of farmers, scientists, companies, philanthropists, investors, government agencies and nonprofit organizations that are at the forefront of change. The 2019 Water for Food Global Conference will spur conversations that bring together a spectrum of stakeholders who understand that feeding our growing world population requires new approaches to overcome a host of interconnected challenges, such as climate change, water scarcity and pollution, economic disparity, shifting food preferences, food waste, soil degradation, ecosystem threats and competing demands for resources. We need a focused commitment to developing sustainable solutions for water and food security, leveraging the skills and experience of a diverse and talented network of stakeholders. Collaboration ignites innovation.
Conference topics include:
Research and Technology
- Using satellite imagery to identify regions throughout the world with high potential for improving agricultural productivity
- Advancing drought management, including new technology to detect and predict drought and other climate extremes
- Sharing innovative technology to detect and analyze soil and water contaminants
Policies and Best Practices
- Determining the value of water in agriculture and other sectors
- Developing water markets and other governance approaches to better manage competing demands for and access to water resources
- Transforming water policy to develop sustainable and equitable water management practices
Entrepreneurship and Business
- Supporting farmer-led initiatives to improve resilient production in sub-Saharan Africa, the Middle East and underserved areas of Asia
- Engaging women and youth in water and agriculture sectors
- Exploring business models for improving sustainable agricultural production
Public Health and the Environment
- Protecting freshwater and agricultural ecosystems and public health through education, tools and governance
- Examining the effects of climate change on agriculture and public health
- Protecting soil health, preventing soil degradation and mitigating soil and groundwater contaminants
The 2019 Water for Food Global Conference will also feature special events to encourage interdisciplinary discussions and learning among participants, including a student poster competition; welcome reception; entrepreneurship cafe; educational exhibit booths; and side events.