Market Systems Global Learning and Evidence Exchange (GLEE) - Dakar, Senegal
The U.S. Agency for International Development Bureau for Food Security (USAID BFS) has collaborated with leaders and practitioners across the development landscape to share knowledge, good practices and lessons learned in market systems, trade, finance and resilience.
The 2017 Market Systems GLEE in Dakar, Senegal, brought together USAID staff and experienced practitioners to discuss approaches to leveraging market forces and food systems to advance global food security.
Participants benefitted from an improved understanding of Bureau for Food Security support to Missions and new skills to incorporate the latest guidance, technology and practices in market-based solutions.
On this page, you can access event resources, speaker presentations and more!
MONDAY, JUNE 5
Session 1: Agri-Food Systems Transformations and Food Security
- Presentation: James F Oehmke, Dave Tschirley
- Resource: Agri-Food Systems Transformations and Food Security
- Resource: Rural Economic Transformation in the Senegal River Valley
- Resource: Agricultural Transformations: Adding Value for Rural and Urban Populations
- Video: Transformations in Agri-Food Systems Country Priorities Drive Results
- Resource: Nutrition
- Resource: FSP Policy Brief
Session 2: Evolution: From Market Systems to Value Chains
Session 3: Market Systems Programming: Concepts, Approaches and Evidence
TUESDAY, JUNE 6
Session 4: Inclusion: Making Markets Work for All
Session 5: Markets for Good Nutrition
Session 6: Partnering for Impact: Leveraging Local Systems and Private Sector Engagement
Session 7: Monitoring for Systemic Impact and Results
- Presentation: Jessica Cagley
WEDNESDAY, JUNE 7
Session 8: Unlocking Growth in the Era of Smallholder Farmer Finance
- Presentation: Matthew Shakhovskoy
Session 9: Tools for Ag Finance
Session 10: Index Insurance for Agricultural Risk Management
Session 11: Resilience and Risk Management Strategies: An Experience Exchange
THURSDAY, JUNE 8
Session 12: How Does the Enabling Environment Impact the Seed Sector?
- Presentation: Nate Kline, Bellah Mpofu
- Handout: EE Tools
- Handout: Market Systems Technical Note
- Video: Understanding Harmonized Seed Regulation in Southern Africa
Session 13: Food Safety and Agricultural Value Chain Development
Session 14: Leveraging Regional Trade Investments for Market Systems Strengthening