SCALE Creative Green Adaptation Award
As communities around the globe face unprecedented challenges due to climate change, humanitarian and development practitioners are rapidly adapting the ways in which they deliver critical aid and programming.
Strengthening Capacity in Agriculture Livelihoods and Environment (SCALE) wants the world to know about your good work! Tell us about your creative program innovations and adaptations and how they address climate change-related constraints and challenges in the sectors of agriculture, natural resource management (NRM) and off- and nonfarm livelihoods.
How to Apply
Application for the Creative Green Adaptation Award happens in two easy steps:
- Give us your pitch! Complete the questions below to briefly outline your adaptation or innovation and how it supports green jobs or climate-resilient approaches.
- If you are shortlisted, we will ask you to submit a three-minute vlog in English, French, Spanish, Arabic or Kiswahili. This is where we really want to see and hear the difference your adaptation has made for communities! We will inform shortlisted organizations of their success by October 5.
Your video will be provided to the SCALE Technical Committee, Donor Panel, and posted for public voting on fsnnetwork.org and other websites. Questions on any part of SCALE's Creative Green Adaptation Award 2021 may be sent to email@example.com. Submissions are welcome from partners implementing USAID Bureau for Humanitarian Assistance (BHA)-funded emergency and development activities, as well as those working on other donor-funded programs that have relevance to the food security implementing community. Examples may include, but are not limited to:
- Introduction of new climate-smart approaches and technologies
- Delivery of products or services that contribute to climate adaptation or mitigation
- New approaches to creating “green jobs”
- Adoption of digital technologies, apps or social media that support climate change goals
- New business strategies to support climate-friendly supply chains
- Innovative and inclusive strategies for data gathering and monitoring
The winners of the Creative Green Adaptation Award will be selected by the SCALE Technical Committee, Donor Panel and public voting in November alongside 2021 United Nations Climate Change Conference (COP26) events. Winning approaches will be featured in a Spotlight Webinar in early December and documented in a technical brief. Winning adaptations will also be highlighted on the Food Security Network (FSN) page and newsletter to raise awareness about innovations that are being developed and the changemakers responsible for them.
Deadlines and Timeline
Phase 1: Send us your Pitch | September 15 - October 10, 2021
Use the short form available here to pitch your adaptation or innovation to the SCALE team. Programs are welcome to submit more than one innovation.
Phase 2: Send us your Vlog | October 11 - 25, 2021
Successful pitches will be shortlisted and invited to submit a vlog of no more than three minutes (MP4 format) telling us about your adaptation or innovation. We want to hear how you are making a difference in communities and looking at challenges in a whole new way. Bring your pitch to life for us.
The submitted vlog must be a maximum of three minutes in duration. Submissions exceeding three minutes may be disqualified. By submitting your video, you give permission for the video to be used and shared for the purposes of judging and promoting this adaptation award.
- Videos must be uploaded as one single file of high quality in a standard YouTube format (16:9 aspect ratio)
- Videos should be in MP4 format and the file size of each video should not exceed 1GB
- Videos may not contain any copyrighted music, images or brand names without proper approval
- We will provide subtitling for videos submitted in French, Spanish, Arabic or Kiswahili
- Consider filming the vlog in a location related to the adaptation or innovation you are telling us about
- Make sure speakers are visible (for example in the middle of the screen)
- Film your vlog in “landscape mode” (horizontal)
- Avoid jargon if you can; audience members can have very different levels of experience and knowledge
The judges will look for engaging and inspiring vlog submissions. Your survey and video entry will be judged on:
- Relevance of your entry to climate-resilient and green livelihood approaches and/or COP26 goals
- Technical quality of the innovation/adaptation (particularly for “Technical Excellence” awards)
- Creativity and inspiration
- Potential for replication and impact
Phase 3: Voting Begins | November 1 - 12, 2021
In support of COP26, voting will be opened for shortlisted submissions in early November. There are four categories of awards:
- Award for Technical Excellence in an Emergency Setting (selected by SCALE’s Technical Committee)
- Award for Technical Excellence in a Development Setting (selected by SCALE’s Technical Committee)
- Donor’s Choice Award (selected by a select group of donor representatives)
- People’s Choice Award (selected through the open voting platform)
Phase 4: Winners are Revealed | November 30, 2021
SCALE Creative Green Adaptation Award winners will be featured in a Spotlight Webinar in early December and highlighted on the FSN page and newsletter, and in a technical brief to raise awareness about innovations that are being developed and the changemakers responsible for them.
If you have any questions or would like additional guidance, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.